Introducing the JET Pedals x Chris Rocha Signature overdrive/distortion, MR JAX. Chris Rocha, the first JET Pedals Signature Worship Artist is a two-time Dove award winner, multi-nominated Grammy producer, and a Gretsch Guitar artist. JET and Chris collaborated to achieve his signature high-gain lead tone in the new MR JAX from JET Pedals.
Here’s the backstory. The collaboration began with the Crowther Hot Cake with its aggressive yet smooth sounds. But the Hot Cake just couldn’t deliver the overtones and EQ he was looking for. Chief Engineer, Junior Thomason, worked to figure out exactly the sound Chris was going for, and achieved it in MR JAX.
“We redesigned everything to achieve an aggressive and smooth/buttery high gain pedal with rich overtones and an EQ curve to match what Chris had been seeking for years, said Junior.”
The basic make up of the tone is a combination of soft and hard clipping in the same pedal. By Redesigning the tone stack, MR JAX can pull off both "soft clipping" overdrive AND "hard clipping" distortion sounds. With a turn of the tone knob, you can achieve transparent overdrive at noon and then past that, you get into distortion - quickly transforming your tone from rhythm sounds to high-gain lead tones - exactly what Rocha was going for.
“I've been using [MR JAX] already, so people have been saying, ‘dude your sound is amazing, this lead tone is awesome,’ and this is exactly what I'm using so I kind of wanted to put something out that kind of displays my exact tone and what I love to use,” stated Chris.
The “JET” way of engineering guitar pedals for worship always includes workflow optimizing features. MR JAX includes two of these features - Gain Staging and Mid Boost - creating a versatile, easy-to-use pedal.
A Look at MR JAX Gain Staging:
- 25% (White LED) - 25% has been fine tuned to dial in an edge of breakup tone. This could be used as an always on tone shaping sound which has plenty of touch responsive dynamics. Play softly and remain your pure clean tone or dig in and achieve a bit of breakup.
- 50% (Light Blue LED) - 50% has been tuned to represent a second stage overdrive tone. Thick but not too aggressive, can be used for full chords without getting muddy (think of using this during verses). Also used for a bit more breakup when single note melody lines are being played.
- 75% (Purple LED) - 75% has been tuned to represent a third stage, stacked overdrive. Thick, saturated, and starting to get pretty aggressive. Best used with two or three note chord inversions (think of using this during the bridge).
- 100% (Red LED) - 100% is full on lead tone, used for thick saturated single note lead lines (think of using this for solos or specific guitar parts meant to stand out in the mix).
- Increase the Gain knob slightly to add a bit more gain per each stage, this is useful for individual output levels on different guitars.
Using MR JAX Mid Boost:
The next hidden feature we added is a pre-gain Mid Boost. Fine tuned for each Gain Stage, the Mid Boost adds the right amount of volume and saturation to jump out in the mix while simultaneously adding a nice amount of mid's to your tone. Perfect for lead lines or solos no matter what Gain Stage you are currently in! To engage the Mid Boost, simply double tap the bypass switch while the pedal is engaged. Pressing the bypass switch again will disengage the Mid Boost.
Other MR JAX Features:
- Soft Click Bypass Switch
- Store in Global Settings Which Gain Stage is Active When Pedal First Turns On
- "Cue" Up Any Gain Stage When Pedal is Bypassed
- Pre-Gain Mid Boost (Double Press Bypass Switch When Pedal is Engaged)
- Multi-Colored LED Showing the Status of Bypass, Gain Stage, and Mid Boost
- Easily switch between transparent overdrive and thick saturated lead-tone distortion
Who is MR JAX?
The story behind the namesake of the overdrive came from a personal story shared by Rocha about his son, Jax.
“I have a son and his name is Jax, and Jax has a story behind him. When my wife was 11 weeks pregnant, I hear my wife scream my name and I see her lying on the ground and we thought she
was having a miscarriage. I picked her up, put her in the car and rushed to the hospital and then for 7 or 8 hours, she’s continuing to go through this horrible situation. We were praying ‘God please please help us.’ About eight hours later, they gave her an ultrasound and sure enough my son was still there. He's my little miracle son, so I wanted to name the pedal after him, Chris said.”
About Chris Rocha
Chris Rocha is an American Christian producer, guitarist, business owner and pioneer in the Spanish Christian music industry. He is a two time Dove Award winner, has worked on two Grammy award winning records and has produced or recorded guitars on 5 Grammy nominated albums. He has worked with world renowned artists such as Miel San Marcos, Marcos Witt, Christine D’Clario, Daniel Calveti, Alex Campos, Danilo Montero, Lucia Parker, Jaci Velasquez, Julissa, Rene Gonzalez, Samuel Hernandez, Coalo Zamorano and Ricardo Rodriguez.
Chris Rocha is also the owner of Chris Rocha Guitars LLC. Within this business is CR presets and CR online. CR online is an online teaching platform that exists for guitarists. CR Presets provides presets to musicians and enables them to have quality sound for church performances. Chris’s vision is to empower the next generation of musicians to expand the kingdom of God.
Chris Rocha is also a co-owner of 418 records. 418 records is a record label that produces Christian Music through talented artists to help spread the good news of the gospel through music.